Saturday, August 25, 2007

For Unto Us

Rehearsals for Messiah are almost over. Today is the last day and we will perform a workshop performance of the work for our board and some guests. I feel these performers having given completely of their talents and worked so wonderfully to create this piece from scratch. It has been a great experience to be involved in something that is almost like creating a new play or musical. Of course, we are more hesitant before we make cuts to Handel's score (though there are some) and we don't add any new numbers (even though Handel probably would have), but none of us, and the singers even more so, knew what this was going to be about or be like in performance. It has been a week of very organic work and the piece really has grown on its own terms. I didn't quite realize how little I understood of what it would become even. I am anxious to hear the thoughts of the small audience today. It is a piece that will require a lot of the audience - active understanding I call it. This isn't passive opera. After today I will have photos. We are also making a video and perhaps eventually I can post clips on here.

In other news I had a great meeting yesterday with the tech people at Georgetown to talk about the move in process for Ground. They are very nice and flexible over there and it is a perfect sized space for us with every technical capability for which we could hope. The also told me, though I refuse to ask how many, that we have sold some tickets and even season passes. BUY YOUR GROUND TICKETS NOW AND PLEASE TELL EVERYONE ELSE TO AS WELL. Ground, being an unknown work and our first show of the season is a tough sell. It is worth every penny and more though. A very unique and extremely moving show. It is also great for folks without a lot of opera experience so bring all your friends and family. You won't regret it!

GROUND
GROUND
GROUND
GROUND
GROUND

No comments: