Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The worth of a singer

I thought some of you out there might find it interesting to know how much some singers are paid for their performances. I have recently been in touch with a certain singer, who shall remain nameless, who is off some repute and certainly of considerable talent. Now this singer is probably not someone the average joe or even average opera lover knows by name. He does a lot of new music and has been in the premiers of some contemporary operas of note. He also does quite a bit of early music, though not really with period groups. He is indeed fantastic and known in certain circles, but not widly known (as he should be). His fee for one performance is $10,000. This is on the European model where singers are paid per performance and not for the rehearsal period. (Incidently, $10,000 isn't THAT much for a singer - Anne-Sofie von Otter can command $90,000 for one evening and I shudder to think what some of the media darling singers like good ol'Renee can charge). The project for which I contacted this singer, which also will remain nameless for now, is quite exciting and we might just be able to find the funds. Still, the idea of starving artist is perhaps a bit exaggerated.

Barcelona continues to amuse and amaze. Yesterday was a day for practicalities...ie buying a rug. Today, however, a wonderful violinist from Paris is coming to visit for a few days. We are going to enjoy playing music together and plotting about making some productions here in Europe. I am also meeting this week with Xavier-Diaz who, if you google him, is a plucker for Jordi Savall's many groups and with whom I hope to collaborate on a project of some sort.

Here is a picture of what I see when I walk out my front door:

No comments: